Facebook Twitter

Food Service Establishments


A FOOD SERVICE ESTABLISHMENT (FSE) is a place where food is prepared and intended for individual portion service and includes the site at which the individual portions are provided, whether consumption occurs on or off premises.  A CATERER is a person who prepares, furnishes, or prepares and furnishes food intended for individual portion service at the premises of the consumer, whether such premises are temporary or permanent.  A CATERER is considered a FOOD SERVICE ESTABLISHMENT operator and is required to operate in conformance with the code.





 The application for a Food Service Establishment is the same one used for a Caterer. Download a copy of a Permit  Application for a Food Service Establishment.

The regulations governing food service establishments and catering are found in Subpart 14-1 of the NYS Sanitary Code.  To view a copy of Subpart 14-1, click here.






 UPDATE..... Upcoming food worker training requirements! 

 A new NYS Public Health Law was adopted in 2007 that requires most food service establishments to have a person certified in food safety.  However, this requirement will not be effective until the promulgation of the accompanying regulations.


















 HACCP.....What Is It???

HACCP stands for "Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point".   It is an evaluation tool used in the food service industry to make sure that all critical points in the processing of food, from the raw ingredients to the consumer's plate are addressed to provide the utmost in food safety.

For food service operators that would like to use a great resource on HACCP from the U.S. Food & Drug Administration, click HERE.






If you are considering opening a FOOD SERVICE ESTABLISHMENT, you will benefit greatly by reviewing some special information we have compiled specifically for new or prospective food service operators.  To access that information, click here.








 Foodborne Illnesses

One of our main goals in the Food Service program is to prevent illness associated with foodborne pathogens ("bugs").  Many of the requirements for Food Service Establishments have been created to prevent foodborne illness.  The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has created The "Bad Bug Book" as a resource to learn more about the various foodborne pathogenic microorganisms and natural toxins that could cause foodborne illness.  To view a copy of The "Bad Bug Book", click HERE.






 A TEMPORARY FOOD SERVICE  ESTABLISHMENT is a place where food is prepared or handled and served to the public, with or without charge, and which operates at a fixed location in conjunction with a single event or celebration of not more than 14 consecutive days.  To go to the page that covers Temporary Food Service, click here.  










A MOBILE FOOD SERVICE ESTABLISHMENT is a self-contained food service operation, located in a vehicle or a movable stand, self- or otherwise propelled, used to store, prepare, display or serve food intended for individual portion service.  To go to the page that covers Mobile Food Service, click here.








 Recent legislation requires Restaurants, Bars, Theaters, and Health Clubs to have CPR equipment available on the premises.  For more information on these new requirements, click the link below:

Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Equipment Required in Restaurants, Bars, Theaters and Health Clubs 


The New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH) has created a 2-page brochure that summarizes the requirements under the new law.  To download a copy of the informational brochure, click here.


NYSDOH has also created a Wall Chart that can be used in your establishment to meet one of the requirements of the law. To download a copy of the Wall Chart, click here.






 Before we can issue a permit for a food service establishment, we must receive proof of workers compensation/disability insurance coverage or a sworn statement declaring that you are exempt. Effective December 1, 2008, the form you were used to (WCDB-100) was retired.  The replacement form is CE-200.  To get a copy of CE-200 to declare exemption, click here.

For more information on these requirements, click here.







NOTE:  Forms downloaded from this site are best viewed using Adobe Acrobat Reader.  Download a free copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Chemung County Health Center
103 Washington Street
Elmira, NY

Public Health

Environmental Health
©2021 Chemung County Health Department. All Rights Reserved.
Responsive Website by inCommand Technologies